Fitness tip of the week....

Try somethng new this week. Venture out of your box of routines and challenge your body in new ways!

Monday, March 30, 2009

Exercise/Weight-Loss Paradox

I am currently getting ready to take my APEX Fit Pro exam to enhance my credentials and just general education, and came across some vital information that I think would be wise to share. I have told many of my clients, as well as myself these same equations I am about to share, but putting in this format might be easier to grasp and understand.

Who has not found themselves doing the same thing at the gym? You get in a routine, where you know what to hit first, what to stuff in the middle and what to conclude the session with. You continue to do this for some time, until you realize, "I am not losing weight, not toning up, not getting more athletic, not reaching my goals, and/or am bored." I am sure you have heard that the body gets accustom to what you are doing and by direct result it does not have to work harder to perform. You either see stagnate progress or worse, weight gain. The body is an interesting organism that requires consistent attention and varied attack.

Let me share a formula that I came across that might better solidify what I am trying to say...

Joe Smith needs 2,000 calories to maintain his current weight:

2,000 : Maintenance
+500 : +Exercise/Physiological adaptations
------
2,500 : Total Calories Burned

Therefore a 500-calorie deficit is created (remember you have to create a deficit to lose weight). Now take a look at this....

500 Original Starting Deficit
-250 Lost when adaptation phase ends (when your body becomes accustom)
------
250 What you are currently burning after adaptation phase is over
-100 Lost from increased cardiopulmonary (heart) efficiency
------
150 What you are currently burning after heart and muscle adaptation ends
-100 Lost from weight loss (less mass, means less calories needed to perform)
-----
50 Current calorie burn

This is significant to understand when you are venturing on your weight loss/gain journey. Once your body has adapted, you are burning substantially less calories. Over time, this could mean disaster for your goals.

So what do you do to combat against this? There are a few things you can do. First, if you are not knowledgeable about weight training/free weights/machines/HITT training, etc your best bet is to hire a trainer. Now before you say anything, no, I am not trying to sell myself. I am telling you what I did, and countless other have done. I had a trainer for 2 years before I ever even considered going on my own, let alone training other people. I even had a trainer while I was training others for a while. I learned proper form, feel and tempo, as well as a wealth of options to incorporate in my own routine. I realized even when I had become a trainer that I didn't know everything and I still needed new, fresh ideas, as will you if you want to see progress. Be wary of a trainer who claims to have "the answer" or only feels their style is the right style. I am constantly seeking new options, new ways of doing things and better methods to help myself and my clients. Second, if you feel comfortable, try new things. Too many people stick with one type of exercise; yoga, group fitness classes, body building, etc. Tap into all of them and you might be surprised at how well your body responds. Third and finally eliminate fear. Most all, can do all, you just have to be willing to step out of your comfort zone. I am not suggesting that a 95 year old run a marathon or a 10 year old start body building, but I am suggesting that the 95 year old possibly attempt walking around the block or the 10 year old start light weight lifting with a certified adult. The possibilities are endless, tap into one today!

Tip: Try something new this week, you many be surprised!

PS...new format coming soon...this one is too boring :)

No comments:

Post a Comment